Infections are a common occurrence in hospitals and clinics, as weakened immune systems are more susceptible to catching airborne illnesses. This can happen with cosmetic surgery, minor procedures or an extensive plastic surgery. That led to an outbreak of infections at a Maryland medical spa, with one person dying from the disease.
WUSA9.com reported the news of Monarch Med Spa in Timontium, Maryland, being investigated by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene as well as the Baltimore County Department of Health. Three patients were hospitalized for Streptococcus after undergoing liposuction at the medical center. One person died during their hospitalization.
The patients had operations between mid-August and mid-September. Monarch Med Spa has since been closed while the investigation continues.
Symptoms of Group A Streptococcus include a fever or flu-like syndrome; redness at the wound site; abrupt onset of generalized or localized pain that is severe in nature, accompanied by rapidly increasing swelling; dizziness; weakness; and confusion. Health officials state that the bacteria is often found in the throat and on the skin, and it is spread through contact directly with throat or nose mucus, infected wounds or sores on the skin, or via contact with contaminated surfaces.
The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene states an average of 189 cases of invasive GAS per year in Maryland, and between 9,000 and 11,500 reported annually in the United States. There are somewhere between 1,000-1,800 fatalities from the infection on a yearly basis.
Patients of the center that suffered an infection are encouraged to consult a doctor and contact their local health department.